Sunday, February 7, 2010

I'm Gonna Need You To Come In On Saturday... (The Post About Motivation)

Motivation. I used to think it was directly linked to the amount of metabolism you had....I had, which meant I was doomed. I had hardly any metabolism to begin with, and when I turned 30, the little I had packed its bags and left a "Dear Janet" letter on the nightstand that merely said "Good Luck."

Thankfully, I actually become more motivated as my mortal and biological clocks ticked louder and louder. What's been difficult has been maintaining consistency across all platforms -- my health, my family, my writing, my work, etc. I was killing Wii Fit in January, but one flu and one trip to NYC later, and I stepped on the balance board for the first time in a month last night.

Same with this blog. I was so proud of myself for posting somewhat regularly for awhile there. Then...nothin'. I kept saying, it's about being authentic. Don't post if it isn't going to be meaningful to your followers...all beautiful 15 of you. However, I do always have ideas about what to write, but I just lost that routine I so desperately crave to keep me on the horse.

Soooo, I decided to write about that tonight. I watched the Super Bowl (Hell Yeah, Saints!), and I realized, those guys stay motivated. I need to, too. Maybe I'll ask our readers. Share tips on how you stay motivated -- is it carrying a picture of the family or of that Audi you want? Is it psyching yourself up? Is it a pitcher of coffee? Tell me all your tips because I guarantee I'll probably try them all, and videotape myself doing so for a future post.

5 comments:

  1. For the record, my metabolism is off on vacation with yours. Hope they are having a great time.

    You ask a really good question and my answer is...complicated. I've been struggling with the same issue of staying motivated to exercise (actually just wrote a post about it). What I find is that doing it breeds the desire to do more. So, energy breeds energy, writing breeds writing, etc. The trick is getting your ass out the door, or to the Wii, or at your desk that first time..and then the second..and the third...and after that you are pretty much rolling. So, baby steps. Tell yourself you'll do it for five minutes, or 15. That will make it easier to get to the next time up. And before you know, you'll be back at it again. Once you're in the middle of it, you remember why you wanted to do it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Charlotte. I think you're right -- that it truly is baby steps. If you think too much about the have tos or the big picture, it can seem overwhelming, but if you approach it a step at a time then it becomes routine and you learn consistency. At least I hope. Ha. Thanks again. I'm headed to your post now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep a bunch of unassembled jigsaw puzzles around so that I can have a little celebration when I get something done.

    So you finally share your secret for staying slim. My theory is that if it feels good to eat, it must be good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh i love puzzles. great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post and the comments! Staying motivated can be so hard, and lord knows I am definitely not the best at it. Amazingly, I've learned about myself that I'm not motivated by financial rewards when it comes to working out. Not even a day trip to the spa motivates me! What does work is the guilt I feel every time I drive past the YMCA and don't stop.

    But that feeling of guilt didn't develop over night! It was by way of babysteps. I started going to the gym just 15-20 minutes at the beginning and slowly worked up to that dreaded 30-45 minutes. It's actually now become a sanctuary for me amidst the grind of work, life, relationships, etc. Not quite an escape, but a great way to clear my mind and let the subconscious work on the problems.

    The way I stay motivated at work is picturing how great it will be to someday retire on a Vineyard/B&B in Oregon (or the South of France!!) or at a house in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Beyond that - having a job that I love really helps.

    ReplyDelete